The name Maldon is believed to come from the Saxon word "dun" meaning the "cross on the hill" and the word "mael" meaning a "place of meeting". So it seems likely that although the oldest part of the present church (the tower) is 13th century, this probably replaced a place of worship from earlier times. But from speculation to reality! We know that in 1189, by a charter of Richard 1, both the churches of All Saints and St. Peter's were conveyed by Robert Mantell to the Abbot and Canons of Beeleigh Abbey, a monastic foundation he had established a few years earlier, a mile to the the west of Maldon., The two parishes were very different in nature. All Saints was small in area and cared for the centre of the town, providing for the merchants and guilds with chantry priests for the chantry chapels, while St. Peter's covered the edge of the town and large areas of the surrounding countryside.
The Reverend Edward Russell Horwood, M.A. was, as far as we know, the longest serving incumbent of All Saints (1850 - 1901) and the Reverend Isaac Lothian Seymour, M.A. was another long server from 1917 to his death in 1947. Records show that both men were very much loved and respected by their parishioners. Both are pictured below, Revd. Horwood (l) and Revd. Seymour (r)