The Bible says: ‘God raised us up with Christ and seated us with him in the heavenly realms…that in the coming ages he might show the incomparable riches of his grace, expressed in his kindness to us...
All Saints' Vicarage as it appeared circa. 1865 showing (l to r) Mrs Caroline Elizabeth Horwood (d 1916), Edith Russell Horwood (1855-1925), Faulknor Russell Horwood (1861-1952), Revd. Edward Russell Horwood, MA, JP, (1821-1901)
(n.b. Faulknor Russell Horwood became Vicar of St. Mary's in Aldermaston, Berkshire in 1888, which incumbency he held until he retired in 1926)
The vicarage must merit a mention as it is, after the three churches, the oldest building in Maldon. It was built as a vicarage in about 1350 and it has always been the vicarage of the parish except for a short period in the 18th Century when the then vicar thought it was not grand enough and moved himself into Friary House (at the bottom end of the public car park across the High Street) and housed his curate in the vicarage. The original house was raised to a second story in 1450 when Mr D'Arcy's bequest installed two chantry priests with a house and an acre of ground adjacent to the church. The substantial walled garden still exists within 50 metres of Maldon High Street. The most recent addition, the east wing, was added in 1670. For 200 years the half timbered fascia was covered with rendering until in 1902 it was stripped away and the porch restored to reveal the frontage in its full glory. From the rear it is much easier to see just how this house evolved. Inside there are some walled paintings dating from the 15th century and timbers reputed to have been trees at the time of the Norman Conquest.