Go back to normal view
We are justifiably proud of our historic organ which has passed through many stages of history. The original part of it, by Gray and Davison, was obtained second hand from the Hanover Square Rooms, London, about the year 1838. As the Hanover Square Rooms were under royal patronage the organ was embellished with the Lion and Unicorn which still remains in the centre to this day (see below). As this Royal Patronage existed between 1783 and 1793 (George III and Queen Charlotte) this helps us to date the organ and there is evidence to suggest that there is a very good chance it was played at some time by Haydn.
Whken When it first came to Maldon it was placed in the west end in the gallery of the church. In 1867 it was moved to its present position in the north-east chapel. In 1886 it was rebuilt and enlarged by Martin. In 1904 it was again thoroughly restored with the addition of a third manual by Bishop and Son of London and Ipswich. In September of 2009 work began on dismantling the organ totally and after some 13 months it is now fully restored by Bishops with some new pipes which have all been repositioned in order to give a much improved sound. The console has also been thoroughly stripped down and computerised. This has also been moved to a position behind the cantoris choir stalls (See below).
Pictured below, Dr. Stuart Pegler our Director of Music at the organ console, in its former location behind the choir stalls,before it was dismantled for refurbishing.