Our Organ

RSS

 

                            OUR ORGAN 

Picture   -   Dr. Stuart Pegler our Director of Music at the organ console, in its former location behind the choir stalls,  before it was dismantled for refurbishing.

 

We are justifiably proud of our historic organ which has passed through many stages of history.   This splendid instrument was built in 1830 by John Gray for the Argyll Rooms in London, and installed by his company in All Saints’ Church in about 1838.   As the Argyll Rooms were under royal patronage the organ was embellished with the Lion and Unicorn, which still remains in the centre to this day (see below). It is believed that when Mendelssohn composed the wedding march, he first played it on this organ.

 

When it first came to Maldon it was placed in the west end in the gallery of the church. In 1867 it was moved near to its present position in the north-east chapel, but at floor level.   In 1886 it was rebuilt and enlarged by Martin.   In 1904 it was again thoroughly restored with the addition of a third manual by Bishop and Son of London and Ipswich.  

 

In September of 2009 work began on dismantling the organ totally and during some 13 months was fully restored by Bishops with some new pipes (Clarinet, Great Fourniture and 16ft. Principal).  The whole organ was raised up and repositioned, resulting in a much improved sound.   The console, thoroughly stripped down and computerised, is now situated behind the Cantoris choir stalls   (See below)..

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


Printer Printable Version
Page last updated: 21st Oct 2019 10:18 PM