A christening is the first step of an amazing journey with God, parents, godparents, friends, family and
the church. A lifetime of discovering more about love, faith and hope begins, a wonderful moment to
WHAT HAPPENS AT A CHRISTENING ?
At a christening your child will be baptized with water. This is the heart of your child's christening.
THERE ARE SEVERAL SPECIAL MOMENTS IN THE SERVICE
- The vicar will pray for your child and for all those who will support them in their path of faith.
- You and the godparents will make some important promises for your child in the service. You can see these words online at: https://churchofenglandchristenings.org/stepbystep/
- A special oil may be used to make the sign of the Cross on your child's forhead. It's a significant moment, which marks your child as belonging to God.
- Water, which is blessed in the church's font, will be poured over your child's head by the vicar. This is your child's baptism.
- Everyone promises to continue supporting your child from this moment.
- A candle will be given to you in the service when the vicar says: "Shine as a light in the world to the glory of God"
"Baptism in the Church of England should take place in the parish where the family is resident, so as to be linked in to the local Christian community.
Those living in the parish of Heybridge who are requesting baptism, could contact their own priest. He would be pleased to arrange to meet you.
Those living in the parish of St Mary's who are requesting baptism, should contact the priest for that parish. He would also be pleased to speak to you.
Those who live in All Saints parish, who wish to arrange a baptism are invited to come to the parish office at the church on the 1st and 3rd Wednesday evenings of any month from 7.00pm-8.00pm.
A couple should allow at least three months between attending the Parish Office and the proposed date of the Baptism.
Those booking a baptism will be invited to take part in a baptism preparation evening, before the baptism.
FOLLOWING THE BAPTISM
Candidates are encouraged to return to church on the first Sunday of the month after the baptism at the 9.30am "Worship For All" service and can
be accompanied by the godparents and family.
At this service, baptism candidates are welcomed by the congregation and receive the baptism certificate and candle.